Window to the Past: Newton Mearns

editorial image

Here we have Newton Mearns Cross which was situated on Kilmarnock (Ayr) Road. Originally called the New Line, this was completed in 1832.

Barrhead Road headed west from the Cross, with the Mearnskirk (Eaglesham) Road branching off to the east.

Kilmarnock Road became the focus of the village, with buildings such as Porter’s Inn (the white, two-storey building) and Anderson’s garage sited there.