Window to the Past: Nether Auldhouse Farm, 1890

editorial image

The farm was just off the south side of Nether Auldhouse Road at the top of the rise from Auldhouse Road. Note the two boys ‘keeking’ round the corner, a man leaning against the door, and a youth at the nearest dormer window.

In the centre there are two wooden barrels, large and small, to catch rainwater running off the roof, and on the right a woman is sitting with a black and white cat at her feet.

Note also the dog in the foreground and traces of horses and cart tracks.

That’s Hillpark behind on the left.

This photo was taken shortly before the buildings were refurbished and extended by the laird Sir John Stirling Maxwell, which made a considerable difference to the accommodation.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.