Window to the Past: King Street looking north, 1932

editorial image

On the left beyond the Clydesdale Bank the Clachan Bar at 248/252 Shawbridge Street is located in the three storey building.

Alongside it is what looks like a dark vertical oval advertising sign on a light background at the ground floor level on the gable of the two storey tenement next to the pub.

The building on the right is the one that left its roof-ridge imprint seen on the gable in photo 256. Too bad the car in the middle distance, the rear of which is seen in photo 260, isn’t close enough to be identified but it might have been a Bull Nose Morris of the 1920s.

The building which can be partly viewed in the far distance was known as The Royal George.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.