Window to the Past: Kennishead Road, 1956

editorial image

Originally known as Cartcraigs, at this time it is Kennishead Road.

Before the 1800s, it was part of the road used by travellers between Glasgow and Irvine, running from High Shawlands and Shawhill Road to the Townshouse. It then ran through the villages of Pollokshaws and Boglesbridge and over the Greenknow to Darnley.

Mrs. Deans’s sweetie shop was in the tenement next to the trees here.

Out of sight beyond the building with the shop, there had been a vets practice since the 1890s.

After he left, an articulated skeleton of a pony was found on the premises. It remained there when the rest of the building was being used as dwellings and, in the 1940s, an enterprising local lad who lived in the building charged other children a ha’penny to view it.

To the right of the church, Shawbridge Street is seen off into the distance.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.