Window to the Past: Harriet Street, 1928

editorial image

At the corner of Cross Street, behind the ornate lamp post with Church of Scotland etched on the glass, number 22 is the Eastwood Cemetery office where the hours, 9.30 to 5pm on weekdays, and 9.30 to 12.30 on Saturdays are displayed on the nearest ground floor window.

Note the ‘gentleman’ on the left with his pony and light trap, and the coal merchant’s lorry and Clydesdale horse behind, with prices displayed on elevated metal ‘plates’ at the rear, 1/6 & 1/10 per hundred-and-twelve pound weight bag.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.