Window to the Past: Harriet St and Clark’s Close, 1932

editorial image

Where Alec Knox is leaning on the saddle of his bike, all the low buildings are about to be demolished for Auldhouse Road to be laid out as a continuation of Cross Street.

The pend with the arched entry led to Clark’s Close.

In the 1920s and 30s James Pollok’s dairy shop at 3 Harriet Street had a byre behind and his cattle grazed in a field behind Wellmeadow.

At milking times they were brought over and led through the pend here, through the close to a lane at the rear that led to the byre.

Prior to the middle of the 20th century, before pasteurisation and the introduction of refrigerators to working class homes, in warm weather milk would turn sour within 24 hours, so all milk retailers delivered door-to-door in the early hours from horse-drawn or hand carts.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along