Window to the Past: Greenbank gardens, 1891

editorial image

This is undertaker and carriage owner William Skinner, who founded a funeral business in Harriet Street that was later owned by Robert Blair.

William is posing here on his Brougham carriage with Hillpark behind and villas in Hillside Road on the right. Greenbank Street was a short street of one close of tenement housing on either side. From Harriet Street it ran down to a path that crossed a footbridge over a mill lade into the park.

The mill lade was the original bed of the Auldhouse Burn that passed through the village and ran into the River Cart below the weir.

Around 1800 it was diverted to add it’s flow above the weir, but a number of companys used the water so the section below the diversion had to be retained.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.