Window to the Past: Early spring view, Pollokshaws West Station 1896

editorial image

From the north end of the ‘up’ platform, what looks like a ‘doohut’ is seen in the hedge of the field on the left.

Above it is the building at the corner of Bengal Street and Main Street where the Maxwell Arms pub was located in later years.

The smoking factory chimney here will be the gasworks, and the high ground behind to its left must be Camphill at Langside.

At centre the first of the villas in the Lubnaig Road/St. Bride’s Road Newlands are just visible in the distance, and the collection of buildings above the Old Shaw Bridge may be Dovehill Farm.

Here’s a bird’s eye view of the telephone pole cable insulators, a system that was in use for about a hundred years until plastic insulated cable was produced that could be laid underground.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.