Window to the Past: Cogan Street, 1957

editorial image

The style of the road sign in the centre, with slow — major road ahead, was ultimately found to be too ambiguous and was done away with because some drivers’ interpretation of slow varied, so it was replaced.

The sign projecting from a close on the extreme right is an advert for a vacant house.

A common sight in the days of the old style open common closes at this time, and gave details of the let on offer. It was in the form of a board shaped like a hand with a finger pointing in.

Another permanent sign in closes was a printed bill pasted high up at the entrance of every tenement, with the legend burst pipes & flooding — in emergency please contact — and gave a local plumber’s name, address and phone number.

Up to the 1950s nearly all roads in the city were like this.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.