Window to the Past: Capelrig House

editorial image

THIS week’s pic from the past is of Capelrig House, in East Renfrewshire.

Set in lands which in the 12th century belonged to the Knights Templar, the land was taken over by the Knights Hospitaller after the Templars were suppressed by the church.

After swapping hands a few times over the centuries, the land came into the possession of — and the mansion was built by — a Glasgow lawyer, Robert Barclay, who had purchased the area in 1765.

Photo courtesy of East Renfrewshire Heritage Service.