Window to the Past: Broompark Farm, circa 1950

editorial image

The impression here is of much work having been put in to making the steading look smart, with the ricks, corn at the front and larger ones of hay at the rear seemingly built with architectural precision.

When driving buses in 1960s the writer remembers occasionally having to stop for cattle being driven across the dual carriageway between pasture in the estate and the farmyard.

Originally there was no street lighting between Pollokshaws West and Damshot Road.

When it was installed the poles were well spaced out but within a few years it was replaced with three poles for every two.

Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.