Window to the Past: Battlefield Monument

editorial image

IT WAS May 13, 1568 on land to the south of Glasgow near the village of Langside where the forces of Mary, Queen of Scots met the men of the Earl of Moray.

The Battle of Langside lasted only 45 minutes, but cost the lives of 300 of the 6,000 men who followed Mary.

This monument to the battle, designed by Alexander Skirving, was erected in 1887.

This picture was taken circa 1904 and shows that many of the buildings are still in use 110 years later.