ON JANUARY 24 1881, a meeting was held in Clarkston Tollhouse to consider the building of a Church of Scotland kirk.
Present were four ministers of the surrounding parishes of East Kilbride, Eastwood, Mearns and Carmunnock and 40 laymen.
Ground for the church was gifted by Mr JD Hamilton of Greenbank, and opened April 13, 1884. Its architects were McKissack and William G Rowan (1846 - 1924).
The church took its name from the Greenbank estate founded by tobacco lord Robert Allason in the 18th century from, among other things, profits from the slave trade; the Hamilton family owned it from 1797 to 1962.
Photo courtesy of East Renfrewshire Heritage Service.