This famous monument was erected to mark the site of the Battle of Langside in 1568, when troops loyal to Mary, Queen of Scots fought the forces of Regent Moray.ary’s camp was on Clincart Hill — now the site of Langside college — while Moray’s forces were stationed at Langside Hill. The monument is roughly where both sides met. Mary watched the battle from Cathcart Hill (now Court Knowe). In a mere 45 minutes, Mary’s troops were defeated with a loss of more than 300 lives. Mary fled to England and eventual execution in 1587. The B-listed monument was designed by Alexander Skirving. The lion at the top rests its paw on a cannonball and faces Clincart Hill.
Source: Batford’s Glasgow: Then and Now. Picture dated c. 1890.