Pet owners warned of chocolate dangers

Vets are warning pet owners to keep their Easter eggs to themselves.
Vets are warning pet owners to keep their Easter eggs to themselves.

Families throughout the UK will soon be sharing chocolate eggs and treats to celebrate the end of lent and start of Easter.

However, vets are warning pet owners on the southside to keep all chocolate away from their pets after revealing it is the main cause of poisonings in dogs.

Pets getting their paws on chocolate means that Easter is the second busiest time of year for cases of chocolate poisoning, just behind Christmas.

Dr Huw Stacey, director of clinical services at Vets4Pets, said: “We want to make sure that the 8.5 million dogs in the UK are safe from chocolate this Easter.

“Whether it’s caused by owners giving their pet an Easter egg as a present or chocolate is accidentally left within their reach, we see an influx of pets suffering from chocolate poisoning at this time of year.

“Chocolate is particularly toxic to dogs, as it contains caffeine and theobromine, two substances that dogs are incredibly sensitive to.”

Theobromine and caffeine are present in roasted cocoa beans from which chocolate is made. When ingested by dogs it affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys, and can cause death.