Health board promises ‘detailed scrutiny’ on hospital site bids

editorial image

A closing date of March 10 has been set on bids for the old Victoria Infirmary site.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde says it expects “strong developer-led interest” in the 9.5 acre site, which has been vacant since May last year, following the transfer of services to the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

David Loudon, director of facilities and capital planning, said: “The Board commenced marketing the site last October and have had a good response from the development industry.

“We now want to convert this interest into a firm sale and ensure this site is brought back into use for the local community sooner rather than later.”

The news follows a community consultation launched by five neighbouring community councils, asking residents for their say at www.newoldvicky.org — and calling on the health board and local authority to listen.

The Victoria Forum states: “Consultation needs to include all stakeholders — local people, the NHS, the local authority and prospective developers.”

NHSGGC has responded that developers will be required to explain to the health board, and to Glasgow City Council, how they plan to engage with the community.

Mr Loudon added: “We are in complete agreement with the community that the worst possible outcome would be for this key site to lie vacant and derelict.

“Proposals will be subject to detailed scrutiny to ensure we achieve the best possible outcome for the commuinity and the public purse.”