THE pipes called residents to Williamwood church last weekend in celebration of 75 years at the heart of the community.
The service of dedication for the parish church took place on June 20, 1937, following significant housing development which created a demand for churches in the previously rural area.
Session clerk Margaret Robertson told The Extra: “Although the area already had four churches — Greenbank, Giffnock South, Netherlee and Orchardhill — the rapid expansion of Clarkston and Williamwood suggested to the heirarchy of the Church of Scotland the urgent need for an additional place of worship”.
The Seres Road site was purchased in 1935 for the princely sum of £1,043, and the first foundation stone was laid on Boxing Day, 1936 — the church would be completed less than a year later.
Fast forward to 2012 and current reverend Iain Reid and congregation have been celebrating the milestone year with a series of events.
In April it was a reunion for the Young Women’s Group, and over 80 people attended – including the very first chair, Margo Jack, who had the honour of cutting the cake.
A celebratory dinner followed in May, where more than 100 members – including lord lieutenant depute Jonathan Muirhead and pupils from Williamwood high school – gathered to reminisce about the church’s past.
September 28-30 marked the official anniversary, and exhibits from all organisations were on display, including pictures from the 350 children who attend every week, baptism books from 1937 and singing and dancing shows from local groups.
The weekend raised a total of £481 towards church funds, and a further £203 was donated to the Hospice of Hope.
The fun wasn’t over yet, however, and last weekend marked the anniversary of the 128th boys brigade company, as well as a few church-centred events – including a football match, and a dinner at Hampden.
Sunday saw a church parade for past and present members, led by Williamwood pipe band and boys brigade captain Mark Gordon.
Margaret added thanks to everyone who contributed to the anniversary celebrations throughout 2012.