Five people treated after Govan blaze

Fire service warns of dangers from communal close fires
Fire service warns of dangers from communal close fires

It could have been a lot worse said people at the scene.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service crews had to use a high pressure jet to extinguish a fire in a tenement close in Glasgow’s southside before conducting a systematic search to ensure everyone was safely accounted for.

Firefighters then provided treatment to three girls and two women who appeared to be suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

An emergency 999 call reported the incident at Shaw Street in Govan shortly before 9.45pm yesterday (Monday, March 21) and two appliances reached the scene within three minutes, with two further crews joining them shortly afterwards.

The arrival of the ambulance service saw the casualties receive attention from paramedics at the scene.

A woman and a boy were taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for precautionary check-ups and all rescue personnel had left the scene shortly after 11pm.

Even a small fire in a communal close can quickly cause toxic smoke to travel throughout the building and block people’s escape.

Household items and rubbish should never be left on the stairs or landings as these could attract people who set fires, produce large amounts of smoke and heat and also obstruct people as they try to exit the building.

Advice on how to keep communal closes clear and what to do if a fire does start is available on the SFRS website at www.firescotland.gov.uk/media/706798/common_stairs_posterflyer_generic.pdf.

Where fire does strike early warning is crucial if people are to get to safety and call 999. Working smoke alarms save lives and no home can ever afford to go without the essential devices.

Free home safety visits are available by calling 0800 073 1999, texting ‘FIRE’ to 80800 or filling in a form at www.firescotland.gov.uk.