Hoax bomb calls shut schools

editorial image

Pupils at three East Renfrewshire schools were forced to evacuate the buildings yesterday after a series of hoax bomb calls were made.

Staff at two of the affected schools, St Luke’s and St Mark’s, received telephone messages between 10.50am and 11.50am on Wednesday warning of bombs on the premises. At that point emergency fire alarms were activated by staff and evacuation procedures were then put in place with all pupils escorted out of the buildings as a precautionary measure.

Fire, ambulance and police services were sent to the schools as an emergency response to the incidents.

East Renfrewshire Council had tweeted that the evacuation was a precaution, and that “children are safe and there is no cause for alarm.

“Police are on site and we will update as soon as we have more information.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We sent three appliances to St Luke’s and a further two to St Mark’s following alarm calls shortly before 10.50am and 11.50am respectively. Both locations were evacuated as a precaution and there was no indication of fire or reports of any injuries to pupils or staff.

“While on site, the officer-in-charge learnt from Police Scotland that further incidents had been reported at Barrhead High and St Ninian’s, however a response from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was not required at these locations.”

Police Scotland confirmed that the bomb squad were not called out and that searches of the school buildings were carried out by their officers and senior staff from the Fire Service. Police Scotland are treating the calls as malicious and a full investigation is now underway.

A spokesperson said: “Following incidents at four East Renfrewshire schools, Police Scotland would like to hear from anyone who may have information.Calls can be made to either 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”