TWO patients have died and another is in isolation after a bug outbreak at the Victoria Infirmary.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde confirmed that it is investigating an outbreak of Acinetobactor baumannii at the hospital.
Medical chiefs say the bug is readily found in the environment and is not normally associated with being a health risk.
Acinetobactor baumannii normally colonises the skin of healthy people and infections in the community are said to be rare.
Drug resistant strains of Acinetobactor are more difficult to treat and infection control precautions are aimed at preventing the spread of bacterial resistance as often the bacteria is not causing infection.
Hospitalised patients, especially those with weakened immune systems may be at a greater risk of infection.
A spokeswoman for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said: “We can confirm that two of the patients who tested positive for Acinetobactor baumannii have sadly passed away.
“Their deaths were as a result of their underlying health conditions and not caused by the infection.
“Our thoughts and sympathies are with the patients’ families at this difficult time.
“A third patient continues to be treated in isolation.
“All appropriate infection control measures are in place and the situation is being closely monitored”.
The Victoria has been dogged in the past with various outbreaks such as the winter vomiting virus and salmonella.
The last time the southside hospital was hit hard by a virus was in 2009 when five wards were closed due to the Norovirus — which causes vomiting and diarrhoea.