A peep at the past - 1932

A peep at the past from 1932
A peep at the past from 1932

This week we’re looking at King Street

His best known escapade was when police found him in possession of a blacksmith’s anvil, and when asked where he got it he claimed to have ‘found it floating down the River Cart’.

It was quite likely to have been fly-tipped in the river.

With the street nameplate still fixed to it, the building has been de-roofed ready for demolition.

The site will be cleared for the expansion of John McDonald Ltd. From the turbine works at the bridge to a new factory here at 174 to 194 Shawbridge Street.

The carved stone on the face of the building to the right of the nameplate may have been a gutter support of the demolished house where the fence is seen.