The Royal George 1932

The Royal George
The Royal George

Marked on the 1858 Ordnance Survey map, the building was reputed to have been a hotel in what was King Street in the days of the stage coaches early in the 19th century, a time when this was the only form of public transport. The name may have derived from it being connected to a stage coach service of that name which ran between the city and Pollokshaws; it was probably converted to apartments before the turn of the 20th century. The writer remembers seeing the building near the end when it was still occupied and in an extremely dilapidated state, but was never in it. Tales are recalled of squalid conditions towards the end, of leaking pipes and blocked toilets flooded passageways, and plaster falling from walls. The address became 212 Shawbridge Street in the 1959 Compulsory Purchase Order.

The name may have derived from it being connected to a stage coach service of that name which ran between the city and Pollokshaws; it was probably converted to apartments before the turn of the 20th century.

The writer remembers seeing the building near the end when it was still occupied and in an extremely dilapidated state, but was never in it.

Tales are recalled of squalid conditions towards the end, of leaking pipes and blocked toilets flooded passageways, and plaster falling from walls.

The address became 212 Shawbridge Street in the 1959 Compulsory Purchase Order.