Main Street, Mearns

Newton Mearns
Newton Mearns

Known as The Doctor’s Building, this construction was on top of what once was a row of thatched cottages on Newton Mearns Main Street.

Built by Dr Mackinlay, whose name gives Mackinlay Place its title, it was an improvement on the cottages it replaced.

The doctor established his practice in Mearns in 1880 and then built Firwood House when he married in 1891.

Firwood still stands on the south side of Eaglesham Road.