Langside House

Langside House
Langside House

THIS robust building is, sadly, no more.

Langside House was built in 1777 to a design by distinguished Scottish architect Robert Adam. Its first owner was Dr Thomas Brown — who had become wealthy while working in London. Its position was on the crest of the hill between Mansionhouse Road and Camphill Avenue.

After swapping hands over the years, it eventually became a preparatory school for St Aloysius’ college, founded in 1859. The mansion was demolished in the 1950s.