A peep at the past

Townshouse Square circa 1922
Townshouse Square circa 1922

Townshouse Square circa 1922

Around this time (1922), the low extension to the building on the right may have been a public wash-house, and the woman with the loaded steamy pram is probably heading for the entrance up the steps to use it.

Completed in 1803, the main part of the ‘Toonshoose’ building originally filled much of the area of the present square.

What can be seen today is the vestibule with its clock in the distinctive Dutch style tower, the rest of the building having been demolished in the early 1930s.